On 16/04/2010, Karl Miller wrote:
> From: Steven C. Barr [log in to unmask]
>

> As I already commented, university-level music departments almost all
> view "pop music" as beneath them?! Would it have been more likely to
> have been kept if it were an equally large collection of CLASSICAL
> LP's?! One wonders...?!
>
> I believe that depends on the music department. From my perspective,
> the Music Department here at the University of Texas at Austin is
> rapidly becoming Rock and Roll U. There is a substantive portion of
> the class offerings which are devoted to popular music and jazz. At my
> alma mater, The University of North Texas, there is a seminar on
> Zappa. I have been told that at some small school here in Texas, there
> is a faculty member who has the title, "Professor of Country and
> Western."
>
> As to why this transformation? The current chairman of the Music
> Department here at UT has said, "that's where the students are."

Why the transformation? Because these genres of music are now historical
and can be studied by academics.

Obviously there are still bands playing rock, or country and western, or
big band dance music, or Sousa marches, or Scottish bagpipe music; but
these are not the current styles of popular music.

Regards
--
Don Cox