Unfortunately it's not only it's not only the advance of technology
that governs the making of recordings.  Radio stations used to make a
lot of the live recordings.  The move away from broadcasting any
music not interesting to the average 12 year old and copyright issues
have severely limited this practice.  The last copyright law revision
in particular, has caused almost as many problems for recording as
for webcasting.

Bob Cham