Hello, Ishumael,

Thanks for the clarification. Again, to try and understand this, let
me restate the question as I think I understand it:

In digitizing a collection of audio cassettes to WAV file, the
cassettes contain some confidential information that has been
redacted by adding distortion in Adobe Audition, and then MP3 files
have been created for public access with the distorted information included.

I would not trust that distortion could not be reversed to the extent
of making the redacted material unaccessible.

What I have done -- with the clients' blessing -- is cut out the
redacted material and replace it with a short 1 kHz beep that fades
up and fades down fairly quickly. This lets the listener know that
something was redacted, it saves the listener time since the entire
duration of the redacted material is not included, and it is
impossible to reverse. The only flaw in this is if you want the
listener to know the duration of the redacted material, then you'd
have to place silence of the same duration in the place of the
redacted material.

I presume that the archives are retaining both a redacted and
non-redacted WAV file of the material, as, at some point, the
restrictions might be removed.

Cheers,

Richard