Hi Bob:

I don't understand this statement:

> Multi-gigabyte files probably
> won't be convenient for people to loot anytime soon.

Huh? It takes 5 minutes or less to crunch a whole album of any format except SACD (because Sony
never allowed ripping software) down to MP3, and thus easy pirate distribution.

Also, I noticed that the Beatles 24-bit/44.1kHz FLAC files ended up on bittorrent almost as soon as
they were released. I bought the kewl collectable USB drive, so it sure steams me that anyone was
able to steal those pricey high-rez files so quickly. Ask any Hollywood lawyer or money man, large
file size does not deter pirates. And DRM pisses off legitimate users and has proven ultimately
beatable every time. Hence the profit-sucking vice that the industry finds itself squeezed in.

I think it's folly to feel secure just because a song is sold in 24-bit format. Sure, most consumers
don't have 24-bit playback on their computers (yet), but like I said, conversion utilities are
plentiful, cheap or free, and fast.

-- Tom Fine