I thought it was common knowledge that bias is reauired to lower the
noise floor of the recorded signal, improve distortion, and extend
frequency response. It was long thought that it was simply out of
range for the tape to hold it, thus is disappeared effectively in the
playback. Until the PP processes!

So your logic is just a notch off - the heads need biaas to record
the tape better, which is synergistic! BOTH need it, and both suffer
without it. There is a simplistic description here:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape_bias>

<L>