You could start here - these guys put out 78s in the 70s, might still
know where they did it:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Crumb_&_His_Cheap_Suit_Serenaders>

<L>
On Apr 4, 2010, at 9:57 AM, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:

Really? This is the first I've heard of this. Even though India is in
the part of the world where the lac beetle lives, and thus closer to
the source of shellac, I've never heard of a pressing plant, in India
or anywhere else for that matter, still set up to make the biscuits
to actually press shellac 78s. Not to mention having an actual
working water heated press.
I've asked before on other lists whether a portable, one-off press
was used in pressing plant audio labs c. 1935-40 for making single
test pressings, possibly for cutter, stylus or new shellac
formulation tests. I've never gotten an answer, but it seems likely
that someone must have produced one.
Hmmm, I think I'll go for a troll through the Audio Record magazine
archive today. Maybe I'll spot one there.
Here's the URL, just in case you may have missed the first posting here:
http://www.archive.org/details/audiorecord4552newyrich
Malcolm

*******