Malcolm Rockwell wrote:
> Of course I know about most of the issue locations appearing on the
> website Dave gave us (thanks, Dave) for shellac pressings made after
> 1958. I have quite a collection of vinyl 78s as well, from "Champaign
> Charlie" by Leon Redbone to the 5 (?) issues from the fellow who
> issued 78 reproductions on the Oriole label. Also those produced by
> John Fahey and The Cheap Suit Serenaders (R. Crumb, et al) and more,
> almost all of which are 10" 78rpm vinyls that are played with a
> standard LP stylus, NOT a 2.7mil 78rpm stylus!
> What I haven't heard of is anyone pressing shellac 78s today,
> regardless of the groove style. I'll be more than surprised if anyone
> can confirm that shellac 78s are still being manufactured anywhere!
> Still haven't located a one-off shellac press manufacturer, either -
> defunct or existing.
> Malcolm

Nipperhead has been experimenting with acrylic reproductions of classic
78s and has done samples of the Diamond Disc of Edison's Let Us Not
Forget and a Berliner.  They play great, even on original machines.  But
this still isn't what you are looking for.  As for one-off presses,
Emory Cook had a Microfusion press that supposedly was desktop size.
The Microfusion pellets didn't need heat, only pressure.  Steve Smolian
might know more because I seem to remember him discussing looking for
someone interested in one when the Cook materials were being transferred
to the Smithsonian. But it still wouldn't have been useful for anything
but Microfusion.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]