What a simple and elegant idea - use the bias signal as a clock;
wow+flutter=jitter; heterodyne - same as recovering audio modulation
from an RF signal.  Congratulations to all involved.

One criticism I heard when I mentioned this technique to someone in the
restoration community - is the bias signal sufficiently stable to ensure
that the derived signal is accurate?

Just my 2 cents,

Mike Gray