From: Malcolm Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, April 4, 2010 8:21:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Pressing 78s today & Audio Research URL

Of course I know about most of the issue locations appearing on the website Dave gave us (thanks, Dave) for shellac pressings made after 1958. I have quite a collection of vinyl 78s as well, from "Champaign Charlie" by Leon Redbone to the 5 (?) issues from the fellow who issued 78 reproductions on the Oriole label. Also those produced by John Fahey and The Cheap Suit Serenaders (R. Crumb, et al) and more, almost all of which are 10" 78rpm vinyls that are played with a standard LP stylus, NOT a 2.7mil 78rpm stylus!
What I haven't heard of is anyone pressing shellac 78s today, regardless of the groove style. I'll be more than surprised if anyone can confirm that shellac 78s are still being manufactured anywhere!
Still haven't located a one-off shellac press manufacturer, either - defunct or existing.
Malcolm

*******