While Malcolm, RIP, was an important figure in the British punk scene, he is more of an uncle or prince of punk, punk became bigger in the UK first after The Ramones visited from the US. Malcolm was able to combine his work with the New York Dolls with The Ramones stylings, though ironically The Ramones were partially a reaction against Glam Rock, though they did have roots in that themseleves when younger. Malcolm was also a great publicist, while it lasted. I was able to get their album cheap (cutout) at the store not long after the release of the American version when they broke up(self destructed). These days I enjoy more the poppier stuff from the period, such as The Buzzcocks or the Ramones, or some of the more danceable bands such as B-52's, all of whom I got to see live during the time and later as well. I did get to see the original Sex Pistols in much later reunion tours, with the pre Sid Vicious bass player, Glen Matlock. Some of you might enjoy Glen's more recent work with 50's rock crooner Robert Gordon, with the Stray Cats Slim Jim Phantom on bass and Chris Spedding on guitar. Chris actually started out in jazz, but did produce some demos for The Sex Pistols himself. Sex Pistols front man Johnny Lydon is currently touring in his later, slightly more accessible and more dnaceable band, P.I.L., Public Image Limited.
Yes, the punk music scene would be different without Malcolm, but it still would have been there.