From: Steven C. Barr [log in to unmask]

As I already commented, university-level music departments almost all view "pop music"
as beneath them?! Would it have been more likely to have been kept if it were an equally
large collection of CLASSICAL LP's?! One wonders...?!

I believe that depends on the music department. From my perspective, the Music Department here at the University of Texas at Austin is rapidly becoming Rock and Roll U. There is a substantive portion of the class offerings which are devoted to popular music and jazz. At my alma mater, The University of North Texas, there is a seminar on Zappa. I have been told that at some small school here in Texas, there is a faculty member who has the title, "Professor of Country and Western."

As to why this transformation? The current chairman of the Music Department here at UT has said, "that's where the students are."

Karl