John,

In terms of EAD itself, you can certainly have a <container> on any
component, regardless of the @level value.  It's really a matter of local
practice.  My opinion is that if you have a subseries and want to associate
a box value with it, go for it.  DACS is silent on this as well, I believe.

This may make the XSLT more or less complicated depending on how you display
your <dsc>, but I've never heard a good argument against it.  Here at Yale
we rarely associate containers with series or subseries, but our stylesheets
support it if we were so inclined.  Revise away!

Mike

EAD Coordinator
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Yale University