From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rees, John (NIH/NLM) [E]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 9:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Indexing EAD using Solr

I agree with Ethan. Indexing EAD with SOLR is different than needing a presentation interface, which you still need and what everyone seems to continually complain about. That said my brief experience, along with some hearsay, is that SOLR has trouble with deeply hierarchical data. It is pretty easy to index at the archdesc level but once you get into the dsc all that inheritance business doesn't fare so well.

But I'm no SOLR expert.

John

John P. Rees, MA, MLIS
Curator, Archives and Modern Manuscripts
History of Medicine Division, MSC 3819
National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20894