That's true.  One needs to remember that component levels are nested and
that valid EAD documents require <did> within component levels, so you
can't just remove the false component level and expect it to work.
Assuming that you are using the EAD DTD, this script appears to work
(although I haven't tested it extensively).  Contact me offlist if you
want to pursue trying it.  Mark

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt">
<xsl:output method="xml" doctype-public="+//ISBN 1-931666-00-8//DTD
ead.dtd (Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Version 2002)//EN"
doctype-system="ead.dtd" indent="yes"/>
<xsl:template match="* | processing-instruction() | comment()">
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<!-- Change this to match the <did> of the false level -->
<xsl:template match="c03/did"/>
<!-- Change this to match the component level of the false level -->
<xsl:template match="c03">
<!-- The following should match the component level of the line above -->
<c03>
<!-- This should match the next component level down from the one being
matched above -->
<xsl:copy-of select="descendant::c04/*"/>
</c03>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>