This has been my experience as well.  I call it "Encoding For Display" or
EFD for short (EAD's wicked cousin).  I've seen all kinds of weird things
pass my eyelids just because someone wanted a particular display that the
stylesheet hadn't (yet) been programmed to accommodate.  Little did they
know that I was their yellow brick road to Oz and all they had to do was
to click their heals together three times and say "There's no EFD, There's
no EFD".