A good perl scripter could write you something that would do it, or you could write an XSL style sheet that removes the "fake" containers and adjusts the coding for their children.

Easiest of all, just do a search/replace in Notepad or some other text editor => replace all fake <c03...>'s with nothing, replace the now-orphaned </c03>s with nothing, then replace all c04's with c03's).

Of course if you have thousands of files that won't be much fun...

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nathan Tallman
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Promoting Container Levels

As far as I know, there isn't an easy way to do this.  But it never hurts to ask, right?

Past encoding practices at my institution inserted a false c0 layer in EAD finding aids.  For example,

My understanding correct EAD encoding:

 *   c1 - Series
 *   c2 - Subseries
 *   c3 - File
OR

 *   c1 - Series
 *   c2 - File

Past practices at my institution:

 *   c1 - Series
 *   c2 - Subseries
 *   c3 - False layer to enclose files
 *   c4 - File
OR

 *   c1 - Series
 *   c2 - False layer
 *   c3 - File

Other than hand-coding, is there a way to promote the c4s to c3s and eliminate the false level?  I haven't used Archivist Toolkit or many other collection management software packages that might have this functionality.

Thanks!

Nathan Tallman
Associate Archivist
American Jewish Archives