Hi Mark,

I've used Solr for several different applications of EAD, from traditional finding aids to metadata that is intensive and focused at the item level, such as describing museum artifacts, like coins.  I think the blacklight approach to displaying EAD with the application called "Raven" is far different than indexing an entire guide as a Solr document, and I'm not entirely convinced their method is scalable to a collection of thousands or tens of thousands of EAD files.

To address Lisa's statement about reviewing XTF vs. Solr, I'm not sure you can compare the two that way.  Solr isn't a mechanism for viewing EAD, though I think that the indexing of data into Solr gives one much more flexibility to develop a robust framework for searching/browsing documents than what Lucene in XTF allows.

Ethan Gruber