The example you provide Barbara makes sense.  The c03s are sub-groupings of
the c02.  At my last institution we used level="otherlevel" in these
situations.  This isn't the situation I'm facing though.

In the finding aids I'm working with, levels are being inserted that have no
relation to intellectual arrangement.  For example, in the case of a series
with files and no subseries, the encoding adds an extra layer of c02
(sometimes given the level of subseries, sometimes no level attribute
identified), with c03s at the file level.  In these cases the c02 has no
information in the did (the files were originally EAD 1.0 before I converted
them to 2002, where this is not allowed).  It seems the previous encoders
always wrapped the file-level c0s with the preceding level, regardless if it
was already in series or subseries.

Ethan mentioned that he avoids numbering the <c> tags.  I haven't seen this
before.  It makes sense to rely on the level attribute to identify
the hierarchy level.  Is this a common practice?

Nathan