From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nathan Tallman
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Promoting Container Levels

The example you provide Barbara makes sense.  The c03s are sub-groupings of the c02.  At my last institution we used level="otherlevel" in these situations.  This isn't the situation I'm facing though.

In the finding aids I'm working with, levels are being inserted that have no relation to intellectual arrangement.  For example, in the case of a series with files and no subseries, the encoding adds an extra layer of c02 (sometimes given the level of subseries, sometimes no level attribute identified), with c03s at the file level.  In these cases the c02 has no information in the did (the files were originally EAD 1.0 before I converted them to 2002, where this is not allowed).  It seems the previous encoders always wrapped the file-level c0s with the preceding level, regardless if it was already in series or subseries.

Ethan mentioned that he avoids numbering the <c> tags.  I haven't seen this before.  It makes sense to rely on the level attribute to identify the hierarchy level.  Is this a common practice?

Nathan