FWIW, we use this construction that Barbara cites quite often.  Just seems to make a lot of sense, both intellectually and XML-ly.

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Aikens, Barbara
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Promoting Container Levels

I wouldn’t necessarily call the example provided as a “false level”.   There are times when one needs what I refer to as a “folder grouping” and I believe it is an intellectual component level that also works well for display.

For example, in plain text:

c01:       Artists Files

                cO2        Abilgard, Mark

            cO3     General, 1989-1998

            cO3     Printed Material, 1989-1998, undated

cO2     Abright, Bill, General, 1987-1999, undated

cO2     Adams, Hank Murta

cO3     Announcements and Press Releases, DW Gallery, 1985-1996

cO3     Collector Records, 1993-1997, undated

cO3     Consignment Records, 1991-1996

cO3     Correspondence, 1981-1997 (2 folders)

cO3     Loan Forms, 1996

cO3     Printed Material, 1985-1997

cO3     Shipping Records, 1989-1997, undated

cO3     Photographs of Adams, undated

cO3     Other Photographs, circa 1981-1995 (3 folders)

cO2     Aebersold, Jane Ford, General, 1982 1

cO2     Alexandrov, Simona, General, circa 1994-1996, undated 1

cO2     Anderson, Daniel, General, 1987-1996

Barbara D. Aikens

Chief, Collections Processing

Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

aikensb @ si.edu

202-633-7941

202-633-7994 (fax)