I think a problem lies in the perception that the numbers in components have some sort of "meaning."† A c01 can be a series or an item.† It is semantically incorrect to place emphasis on the numbering system at all.† Suppose you were to process your collection into two outputs for comparison.† For the first dataset, you strip out all the level attributes and only have numbered components.† For the second dataset, you replace all the numbered components with unnumbered <c>, but retain the level attributes.† Clearly the second dataset retains intellectual meaning.

I can kind of see how <c level="series"> may be a little more difficult to read than <c01 level="series"> if you are using a simple text editor like NoteTab, but it seems like renumbering a collection is a nightmarish scenario.† It seems as if there are not many institutions that use unnumbered components.† The EAD cookbook stylesheets don't work out of the box on a collection with unnumbered components, I think.† It assumes top level components are c01 and that template calls c02.† Any sort of machine processing is greatly simplified by getting rid of numbered components, and I think the community is trending towards using software applications to create EAD rather than a slew of workflows in which guides are manually made in NoteTab Pro or other such text editors.

Ethan Gruber