Well, the numbers mean something in the sense that it’s easy to see at a glance how far down in the intellectual hierarchy a given c0# is – a c03 is 3 levels down – and you know that a given c03 will be intellectually (and XML-ly) a child of the first c02 encountered above it.  Of course one can do the same thing by counting ancestral c0’s, but that requires a lot more thinking.  I guess in the end it depends on whether you’re likely to have human eyes looking at the EAD at some point.  If so, the numbers are a nice human-readable cue.  If not, then as several people have said, it doesn’t really matter because computers don’t care, so as long as you a) do it consistently and b) write, or choose, your output handling (XSLT or whatever) to deal correctly with whatever option you choose to go with, you’ll be good.

My personal preference is to include the human-readable cues because you never know when the automagic processing will crap out on you and you’ll need a human being to fix it ;)   Also, if you go with unnumbered, doesn’t that mean you have to set the level attribute for every single <c>?

Either way, I wonder how often Nathan’s situation of needing to promote/demote c0#s comes up?  Seems like it would be a fairly rare occurrence.  We’ve created or converted about 2000 finding aids so far and I can only think of one occasion when I had to do it.

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ethan Gruber
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Promoting Container Levels

I think a problem lies in the perception that the numbers in components have some sort of "meaning."  A c01 can be a series or an item.  It is semantically incorrect to place emphasis on the numbering system at all.  Suppose you were to process your collection into two outputs for comparison.  For the first dataset, you strip out all the level attributes and only have numbered components.  For the second dataset, you replace all the numbered components with unnumbered <c>, but retain the level attributes.  Clearly the second dataset retains intellectual meaning.

I can kind of see how <c level="series"> may be a little more difficult to read than <c01 level="series"> if you are using a simple text editor like NoteTab, but it seems like renumbering a collection is a nightmarish scenario.  It seems as if there are not many institutions that use unnumbered components.  The EAD cookbook stylesheets don't work out of the box on a collection with unnumbered components, I think.  It assumes top level components are c01 and that template calls c02.  Any sort of machine processing is greatly simplified by getting rid of numbered components, and I think the community is trending towards using software applications to create EAD rather than a slew of workflows in which guides are manually made in NoteTab Pro or other such text editors.

Ethan Gruber