Mark,

Congratulations on the impressive new site.

I’d be interested in hearing about how you determined what features to provide for the advanced queries.  Did you do your own user studies or rely on particular published ones?  We recently launched the first phase of our EAD-driven database (http://libfindaids.yu.edu:8082/xtf/search), which provides for only simple searching at this time. I’m hoping to provide some enhanced search features, but have been mulling over how much they’re really used versus the cost of development, whether most users know enough about LCSH and other controlled terms, if they understand the different parts of the finding aid, etc. etc.  While I feel that it’s great to be able to provide complex features for the (small set of?) advanced users who know these things, we are a small staff, and need to maximize how our limited resources are invested.

So any information or thoughts you (or anyone on the list) has on this would be most welcome.

Thanks!

________

Deena Schwimmer, Archivist

Yeshiva University Archives

mail: 500 W. 185th St., New York, NY 10033 / interoffice: MGL 602

email: [log in to unmask] / phone: (212) 960-5451 / fax: (212) 960-0066