Regarding the surveys of user and researcher needs relating to the description of archival sound recordings that are currently being conducted by the Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC) DACS for Archival Sound Recordings Subcommittee, we have been asked to clarify our definition of "sound recording."

By “sound recording,” we mean any item with predominantly aural content including, but not limited to, audio discs, magnetic tape, and sound files. We are particularly interest in how institutions have been cataloging and otherwise describing their archival sound recordings. By "archival," we generally mean unpublished or "semi-published" recordings; i.e., recordings that are not broadly disseminated; however, we also consider rare/historical recordings (such as published cylinders or transcription discs) archival. Audio tapes of meetings, press conferences, presentations, and speeches would fall squarely into the category of archival sound recordings and we’d be very interested in learning more about how your institution is currently cataloging or otherwise describing these items through the use of finding aids, collection inventories, etc.

The survey was designed to cover issues of describing sound recordings in general and not just "archival" sound recordings (as defined narrowly). Question 5 asks for users to indicate what types of sound recordings their institution catalogs and provides examples of rare and archival sound recordings. If you are interested in responding to the survey but are unsure if it applies to your collections, take a look at question 5 (That said, we'd still like to have your opinions on describing sound recordings).  If your institution has sound recordings, but isn’t currently cataloging or describing them, we’ve made a provision for that as well by asking you to answer questions 1-2 and any relevant questions from 11-17.

We regret any confusion but hope that you will complete one or both of the surveys.

DACS for Archival Sound Recordings Subcommittee (ARSC Cataloging Committee)

Ronda L. Sewald, Ph.D.

Archives Administrator / Project Manager

Indiana University

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Smith Research Center, Suite 180-181

2805 E. Tenth Street

Bloomington, IN 47408-2601

Email: [log in to unmask]