Yes, I could do that. I think, however, that we are causing needless
confusion by insisting that a middle initial is not a primary element.
Sometimes it makes all the difference in being able to identify which James
Benjamin you actually have--and clearly LC did not recognize it when they
created the later record.

I try to train my staff to look at all the different names before they
create a new authority record, but it can be very time consuming to look at
each and every Harry Smith to see if your Harry X. Smith is one of the ones
already established with a date but no middle initial. How much easier if
the first person just adds a cross reference!

Kathy

--
Kathleen M. Winzer
Catalog Librarian