On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Kathy Winzer wrote:

> I think, however, that we are causing needless confusion by insisting
> that a middle initial is not a primary element. Sometimes it makes all
> the difference in being able to identify which James Benjamin you
> actually have--and clearly LC did not recognize it when they created the
> later record.

  I absolutely agree.  Not being able to make x-refs from headings lacking
death dates also irritates.  Could someone at LC explain whether they
could perhaps tweak incoming records to match their needs instead of
requiring all NACO participants to avoid certain references useful in
other catalogs?

jgm

                                             John G. Marr
                                             Cataloger
                                             CDS, UL
                                             Univ. of New Mexico
                                             Albuquerque, NM 87131

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.