Indeed, one sees these kinds of references all the time in corporate
body NARs, and I think the logic is as follows:

In this case, the body is entered subordinately in the heading, as it
fits "Type 5" in 24.13. The acronym, if chosen as the heading, would
also be entered subordinately, as it does not by itself convey the idea
of a corporate body (fitting "Type 4"). However, since it is being
traced as a reference, an exception in LCRI 24.4B kicks in, specifically
that acronyms/initialisms given as references do not require qualifiers
unless needed to break a conflict. Thus, by this interpretation, "SPMS"
(as a reference) does not require the name of the higher body to help
convey corporateness, and therefore can be traced directly.

This is, anyway, how I understand it based on my recent training. Any
other insights?

Casey

--
Casey A. Mullin
Discovery Metadata Librarian

--

"Those who need structured and granular data and the precise retrieval that results from it to carry out research and scholarship may constitute an elite minority rather than most of the people of the world (sadly), but that talented and intelligent minority is an important one for the cultural and technological advancement of humanity. It is even possible that if we did a better job of providing access to such data, we might enable the enlargement of that minority."
-Martha Yee