Colleagues,

We avoid adding cross references when the element in question is not the first one to the right of the comma. When an author uses his middle initial, where he previously did not, we do not provide a reference. I have in hand two name authority records for the same person that I think resulted from this practice.

When cataloging In pursuit of justice by Richard B. Zabel and James J. Benjamin, Jr., the cataloger did not notice that n86002004 Benjamin, James, 1965- included a 670 for the CIP t.p. (James J. Benjamin, Jr.) and created n 2008056697 for that form of name. Since the title page of the original title dropped the middle initial, the cataloger creating the first record dropped it from the heading and did not provide a cross reference to the fuller form (since the difference was not the first element to the right of the comma).

When I add information to the older record from the newer one, is it ok if I now add that fuller form? So a 400 for Benjamin, James J., 1965- ? But not for the duplicate, Benjaman, James J., Jr.? I would like to avoid a repeat of the duplication next time Mr. Benjamin changes his mind about how his name should appear, but I am not always sure of how many cross references would be helpful.

Thanks for any advice,

Kathy

--
Kathleen M. Winzer