From Gary Strawn:
"Remember always that we are required to create references that differ through the first element to the right of the comma, but this does not mean that we are forbidden from making references that differ in elements further to the right.  The whole business about not wanting to create references that "file next to each other" is card-centric; a person is looking for James J. Benjamin should be able to find stuff if stuff is in fact present."

What Gary says here mirrors what my NACO trainer emphasized to me when I took NACO training at LC in a previous century. Essentially the message was to do what is necessary to make matters clear and if the letter of the rules supports that, so much the better.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:[log in to unmask]