At 09:51 AM 2010-05-13, Karl Fitzke wrote some really neat and useful
stuff that I won't repeat:

Hi, Karl.

That was wonderful. Thanks!

I learned to do manual DAT-head cleaning about ten years ago. I had
put a machine on the shelf and bought another when I thought the
first machine was dead, but it turned out that I had a bad batch of
DAT tapes that shed like crazy--perhaps even sticky-shed. They were
TDK. At the time, it was apparently known.

I switched to first KAO and then Maxell DDS tapes (rather than audio
DATs) for my own recording and never had a problem.

While some say that DAT works well and is robust, I still think we
should transfer our DATs before our open reels, everything else being
equal. I'd much rather fix an open reel machine than a DAT.

Cheers,

Richard