From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hi Lisa,

something good always comes from asking the list. I shall contribute a small
bit.

Glass discs are always direct-cut and mostly one-offs. They first came out
during WW2, but surprisingly also about 1951 when there was another material
shortage, when glass was replacing aluminum as the carrier. The manufacturers
actually considered them to be better lacquer discs, because the surface of
the glass was much smoother then aluminum.

The major problem with lacquer discs is delamination or its precursors,
cracks: the outer lacquer layer may separate from the glass base, and this
makes the record unplayable. It is difficult to see any pattern in the
appearance of the defects, because you will find lacquers that are stilll in
perfect condition and some where certain constituents have crawled from the
inside to the surface, where they form a soft layer that can be removed.

You said that you have ca. 6 cubic feet of them; with a square outline of ca
one square foot this meens ca. 6 linear feet, and that is a lot, probably
more than 600. I would expect them to be stored upright and not at an angle
and not in piles of more than 4 inches. They should be kept dust free. The
records themselves are surprisingly strong, but obviously the surfaces are
vulnerable.

There are people on this list who are not in Europe and who work with such
records very frequently, and no doubt they will respond further.

Kind regards,

George

P.S. You did not mean record albums by Philip Glass, I presume?!