From: "Art Shifrin" <[log in to unmask]>
> Also, can we coin a term to replace discography?  If taken literally, then
> no cylinders should be listed within them....

At the time the term "discography" was invented, cylinders were pretty
well ignored by collectors...mainly because they contained very little
jazz, and most of the written works concerning records were about
jazz records! I have, IIRC, seen the term "cylindography" used to
refer to data compilations covering cylinders.

Note that the term "discography" now refers to LP's, 45's and CD's
(and in some cases cassettes?!); all but the latter are at least in disc
form (round and flat!). Also, note that there exists no equivalent
term referring to magnetic tape (or wire?) recordings!

Steven C. Barr