From: "Harold Zamansky" <[log in to unmask]>
> I remember Meltzer fairly well, though I visited his shop only a few
> times.
> I recall him as a very knowledgeable (about records) but crotchety person.
> One time, I looked through a pile of 78's of Fritz Kreisler, but selected
> only one
> quite rare disc to buy. He grabbed it out of my hand, saying that, if
> that's the only
> one I wanted to buy, he wouldn't sell it to me.

The harsh reality is that us eccentrics (OVER-represented in the world of
78 rpm phonorecords...?!) can be difficult to deal with; however, were it
not for us, there would NOT be any 78's to collect! Ordinary "respectable"
people throw stuff away once it becomes out-of-date and/or "obsolete"
(and then wish they hadn't once it inevitably becomes "valuable antiques")

Yes, we DO get "crochety" at times...but that is an inevitable result of
having
been called "crazy" (or worse) while we hung onto now-desired artifacts
through their "useless and unwanted" period...?!

If nothing else, my 28 tons of 78's will hold the place down when the next
tornado strikes (Ontario isn't on any fault lines, so earthquakes are highly
unlikely [Haile Sellassie's little-known second cousin thrice removed...?!)

Steven C. Barr