Hi Hans:

I am pretty sure that version of "St. James" is from the sessions that produced the Audio Fidelity
album "Satchmo Plays King Oliver," recorded at Radio Recorders in Hollywood in September and October
1959. Here's the reissue LP version:
http://tinyurl.com/2dqo98u

Interesting, though! I'm comparing right now the YouTube clip to the album and guess what -- that
YouTube clip is a different take from the album! The trombone and clarinet vamps are different and
there's a little bit different delivery to Louis's vocals plus different trumpet solos. But, the
sound is very close to the record so I'd say it's gotta be from the same session since Sid Fry's
setup was unique, his "curtain of sound" M-S stereophonic setup (not hard-panned "stereo" as was
typical of jazz recordings on those days). I wonder where this other take is floating around! The
version that's on the Classic Records reissue linked above is the same as what's on my 1964 Audio
Fidelity version of the album titled "The Best of Louis Armstrong" (Audio Fidelity AFSD 6132).  I
don't think AF would have issued two versions of that same LP, and the Classic reissue claims to be
of the first edition version (Audio Fidelity AFLP 1930). So the take in that YouTube clip must be
floating around from somewhere else.

For what it's worth, I prefer the take that's on the LP. Louis's solo at the end is fantastic, and
the clarinet picks up on what he's doing at one point and they both go over the top together. In my
opinion, this was Louis Armstrong's last great jazz session. His next step was "Hello Dolly" and pop
fame in his last years. He never again played trumpet in front of a recording mic as well as he did
for the Audio Fidelity sessions. And the recording technique on that album is perfect for the
ensemble playing that Louis's band was into. Everyone has to play his part but not one is
artificially spotlighted. So they have to play as a unit, control their dynamics, know when to lay
in and lay out, like real musicians playing in a believable sonic space. That was innovative in
those days and, unfortunately, is still rare and innovative today!

-- Tom Fine