Well, I don't know if a local municipal bus who's "stops are located
approximately every two blocks" and will then require a several block
walk through a neighborhood one doesn't know to reach the hotel would
be my idea of a restful and relaxing introduction to the city and the
conference after a long tiring plane flight, but to each their own.

However, I *would* recommend a wonderful transit trip in New Orleans:
the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar which uses 1920s era unairconditioned
wooden streetcars (on a line that dates to 1835) to take a slow,
leisurely, rumbly trip up St. Charles Avenue through the Central
Business District, the Garden District, and Uptown, all of which are
*very* different than the French Quarter, the latter two areas
especially pretty and architecturally enjoyable.

All of $1.25 in each direction and really pleasant.  I'd hop off at
Riverbend where the streetcar makes a big turn onto Carrollton (it's
pretty obvious but one can always ask the driver, about a half hour
ride) and get bite to eat at The Camellia Grill (definitely
recommended) or one of the other restaurants in those couple blocks,
then hop back on the car, sit on the opposite side, and enjoy the
antebellum mansions, etc. on the other side of the street on the way
back.

The other two streetcar lines in NOLA are, in my opinion, not so
interesting, but St. Charles Avenue is quite worth the ride.

Arthur Gaer