Jim:

A very well thought out response to the dilemma faced by both
institutions and those of us who work in the trenches. You took the
words right of of my mouth....

As you say, there is a huge disconnect here that needs to be addressed.
While there exists a pretty extensive knowledge base available to those
who make even a minimal effort in locating it, the hands-on training
component is sorely lacking. Because of this, some very valuable parts
of our history are being lost.

A case in point: A few years ago, a client (from a major institution)
came to us with with some film materials which had been previously been
sent to another facility for evaluation (who will remain nameless to
protect the guilty). This material was part of a much larger collection
consisting of a wide variety of formats which was being sorted,
processed and cataloged so that they could determine how to proceed with
all the various elements contained in the collection, many of which were
of unknown origin.

Part of the materials they sent us consisted of 16mm magnetic film
(which, unfortunately, in their well-meaning but mis-guided attempts at
preservation, had already been removed from the original cans and
re-canned, thereby removing any information that could have been gleaned
from the containers). As far as they could tell at the time, this film
had nothing on it, despite the fact that it obviously had been spliced,
and contained grease-pencil marks. Most likely, the staff at facility
that had previously handled the film simply put it up on a dubber, ran
through part of the reel and, hearing nothing, simply concluded that
there was nothing on it. End of story. As such, the archive was going to
remove it from the collection (possibly tossing it altogether).

After we received the film and checked it on a bench, we found out the
film did indeed contain audio recordings, but that they had been
recorded in the European center track format, instead of the edge track
standard common to the States. Obviously, the other facility should have
checked for this, but most likely had a staff that were ignorant of film
audio standards.

As it turned out, this particular material was part of significant
production which this institution was trying to preserve, but would
never have been seen the light of day if the archive staff had simply
stopped when they received the first evaluation.

The point is: there are archivists working in various major institutions
who are making critical decisions without the requisite training and
background to properly identify materials in their collections. These
mis-guided decisions are resulting in important materials being either
mis-handled, or cast aside out of ignorance, because the staff doesn't
understand their value.

I have had similar experience with other archives, where the staff
simply didn't understand what all the various elements of a production
were (many of which are mis-labeled, or have been separated from the
rest of the collection because no one understood what they were). As
such, great efforts are being made in preserving the either the wrong
materials, or in producing a final preservation master which is simply
incomplete. The list goes on....

I'm really not sure how to address this, but it painfully obvious that
if major archives are going to place key staff based on their education
in degreed programs, those programs need to have a serious core
curriculum which at the very least includes the proper handling of AV
materials, as well as how to identify important elements in a
collection. Without this knowledge, we are going to continue to see more
mis-guided attempts  in the name of preservation that, at best, are
ill-informed, and at worst result in valuable materials being lost forever.

Sorry for the long post. My .02 for the day...

Scott D. Smith C.A.S.
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.