From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Nathan Tallman
Sent: 06 May 2010 14:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Date normalization

Good morning,

I'd like to take a quick and extremely informal survey.  How many
institutions are normalizing dates at the file level?  My past institution
only normalized dates at the top, series, and subseries levels.  The
rational was that it's not worth the time to normalize at the file level
because there aren't enough publishing options available that utilize the
data.  (Plus, there's a script to normalize dates if it's needed.)  My
current institution is looking at best practices for our encoding and I'd be
interested to hear what others are doing .

Thanks,

Nathan Tallman