Hi Michele, Ethan,

Thanks again for your answers. I will discuss this with colleagues and might come back to you for additional questions.

Regarding the EAD-1 and EAD-2 files, that is exactly what happens.

Best,
Yoann

On 13/5/10 18:24, Michele R Combs wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

> Actually, we are this third party, as stated above we do not need those hard coded URLs in the

> original metadata, but we need (want?) to insert them in the metadata at modification time (yes,

> it can happen that we modify some of the data) to use them for us and possibly link back to the

> original institution (at the correct level of the correct finding aid).

So…you’re harvesting from one EAD file (let’s call it EAD-1)…and creating another EAD file (let’s call it EAD-2)…that has links in it that go to specific locations in an HTML version of EAD-1.  EAD-1 can come from any one of a number of repositories; EAD-2 is generated by you, based on metadata harvested from EAD-1.  Have I understood correctly?

> but the question is where do we put this URL at generation time (once more, it 'needs' to be in the EAD file)?

> The institutions themselves do not have to have those links, we would create them, but in both cases (they have

>  it or we create them) we need to know in which element/tag we can insert it.

The question of what element to use to include a link in an EAD file returns us to the suggestion of using one of the linking elements, such as extptr or extref.  If you’re outputting EAD-2 automatically, then it doesn’t matter whether the full URL is in EAD-2 or not, since you can just re-export (or regenerate) it at will.

Michele

(be green - don't print this email!)

Michele Combs
Manuscripts Librarian