I determined how to install the modules and got Jason Casden's script to work.  (Thank you Jason Casden where ever you are!)  The script does a great job at normalizing the dates, but I noticed it doesn't add a type attribute (inclusive or bulk).

The type attribute didn't cross my mind before.  For all those normalizing dates at the file level, are you also adding the type attribute?  What are the pros/cons for including or excluding it?

Thanks!
Nathan

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Michele R Combs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I don’t know about Active Perl but with regular perl there’s no install necessary, you just put the two files (XPath.pm and Twig.pm) into the correct directories, so the script can find them when it runs.

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nathan Tallman
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 9:12 AM

To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Date normalization

Thank you everyone for your responses!  Most who shared are normalizing dates (or wish they were).  I'm going to look more closely into Jason Casden's PERL script, but I haven't worked much with PERL before.  I installed ActivePerl, but can anyone advise me on installing the necessary XML::Twig and HTML::Entities modules?  I found the website for XML::Twig, but don't know how to install it as a module.

Thanks again; this is a great list!

Nathan