Okay, I got that and it worked.  However, I had to manually remove and add the closing c01, c02 and c03 tags.  One more question, is there a way to edit the clips to put all the closing tags nested in the right spot (or does it all depend on where the cursor is sitting?).  You've all been so helpful to someone alone on an island.

Lauretta
________________________________
From: Cruikshank, Kathleen A [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:52 PM
To: Lauretta Scheller
Subject: P.S.: Help for newbie for C01, C02, C03

If your answer to Ethan is yes, that the file is a subcomponent of the subseries, and you change it to a <c03>,  what you should have is below.   This is a file within a subseries which is itself within a series.   If you had several files in that subseries, you would only have the closing bracket for the c03 you have here, then would continue to open and close the subsequent files as C03s, then when you finished listing those files in that subseries, you'd follow the </c03> with a </c02>, which closes out that subseries.  Then if you had another subseries, you'd open it with another <c02> and then all the files (<c03>) that it contained, just as you did this one.  Only when you had finished listing all the subseries would you finally add the </c01> that closes out the series.

<dsc type="combined">
<head>Detailed Description/Box and Folder Listing</head>
<c01 level="series">
  <did>
       <unittitle>Campus Expansion </unittitle>
       <unitdate>1925-1952</unitdate>
   </did>

<c02 level="subseries">
  <did>
       <unittitle>Rutledge Hall, </unittitle>
       <unitdate>1937</unitdate>
   </did>

<c03 level="file">
  <did>
       <container type="Box">1A</container>
       <container type="Folder">1</container>
       <unittitle>Anderson Electric Co. </unittitle>
       <unitdate>1939</unitdate>
   </did>
</c03>
</c02>
</c01>

Your <c02> should be nested inside  your <c01 level="series">  Is the <c01 level="file"> a sub-component of your <c02 level="subseries">?  If so, you should change it to c03 and nest it inside your <c02 level="subseries">

Ethan
<head>Detailed Description/Box and Folder Listing</head>
<c01 level="series">
  <did>
       <unittitle>Campus Expansion </unittitle>
       <unitdate>1925-1952</unitdate>
   </did>
</c01>
<c02 level="subseries">
  <did>
       <unittitle>Rutledge Hall, </unittitle>
       <unitdate>1937</unitdate>
   </did>
</c02>

<c01 level="file">
  <did>
       <container type="Box">1A</container>
       <container type="Folder">1</container>
       <unittitle>Anderson Electric Co. </unittitle>
       <unitdate>1939</unitdate>
   </did>
</c01>
Is this what you mean?