I would add that the amount of optionality in the guidelines could be
reduced by making some of the "optional" practices optional or mandatory
for certain script groups only (e.g. Arabic/Persian, Hebrew) and
forbidden within PCC for others (Cyrillic, Greek, CJK).  That would make
practice more predictable for a large proportion of PCC records without
alienating cataloging communities for which these options are already
standard practice.

Robert.