Hi Margaret,

The problem is the element premis:objectCategory.
That element isn't available in the schema. Instead it's the attribute xsi:type="premis:file" in the header element premis:object that's has the same meaning.

So if you remove that line in you PREMIS document it will work.

Best,
Karin Bredenberg

>>> Margaret Peachy <[log in to unmask]> 2010-05-01 01:12 >>>
Hi All,

I'm new to PREMIS and to the listserv, please bear with me if my question is
elementary.

I am having trouble validating my PREMIS document,with this message
appearing:
element 'premis:objectCategory'. One of
'{"info:lc/xmlns/premis-v2":objectIdentifier,
"info:lc/xmlns/premis-v2":preservationLevel,
"info:lc/xmlns/premis-v2":significantProperties,
"info:lc/xmlns/premis-v2":objectCharacteristics}' is expected.

Below is a snippet of my tagging.  Can anyone help me diagnose the problem?

<premis:object xsi:type="premis:file"
xsi:schemaLocation="info:lc/xmlns/premis-v2
http://www.loc.gov/standards/premis/premis.xsd">
                        <premis:objectIdentifier>

<premis:objectIdentifierType>helyar</premis:objectIdentifierType>

<premis:objectIdentifierValue>helyar-0-0</premis:objectIdentifierValue>
                        </premis:objectIdentifier>
                        <premis:objectCategory>file</premis:objectCategory>
                        <premis:preservationLevel>

<premis:preservationLevelValue>full</premis:preservationLevelValue>
                        </premis:preservationLevel>
                        <premis:objectCharacteristics>

<premis:compositionLevel>0</premis:compositionLevel>
                            <premis:fixity>

<premis:messageDigestAlgorithm></premis:messageDigestAlgorithm>

<premis:messageDigest></premis:messageDigest>

<premis:messageDigestOriginator>[NWS]</premis:messageDigestOriginator>
                            </premis:fixity>
                            <premis:size>150481952</premis:size>
                            <premis:format>
                                <premis:formatDesignation>

<premis:formatName>image/tiff</premis:formatName>

<premis:formatVersion>6.0</premis:formatVersion>
                                </premis:formatDesignation>
                                <premis:formatRegistry>

<premis:formatRegistryName>PRONOM</premis:formatRegistryName>

<premis:formatRegistryKey>TIFF(6)</premis:formatRegistryKey>
                                </premis:formatRegistry>
                            </premis:format>
                            <premis:creatingApplication>
                                <premis:creatingApplicationName>EPSON Scan
(Enhanced with EPSON Easy Photo Fix)</premis:creatingApplicationName>

<premis:creatingApplicationVersion>3.04A</premis:creatingApplicationVersion>

<premis:dateCreatedByApplication>2009-10-02</premis:dateCreatedByApplication>
                            </premis:creatingApplication>
                            <premis:creatingApplication>
                                <premis:creatingApplicationName>Adobe
Photoshop</premis:creatingApplicationName>

<premis:creatingApplicationVersion>CS3</premis:creatingApplicationVersion>

<premis:dateCreatedByApplication>2009-10-02</premis:dateCreatedByApplication>
                            </premis:creatingApplication>
                        </premis:objectCharacteristics>

Thanks!
Margaret