Dear Nathan,
We have implemented Google Analytics on our finding aids. The code
itself is easy enough to add to a page.  We added it to our Footer
include file, so it shows up on every finding aid and auxiliary page
within the http://www.lib.umd.edu/archivesum site.

I check it periodically, however, have not had the time to really
analyze the findings.  All I do is occasionally look and see what people
are searching on and what our most popular finding aids are in terms of
number of hits.  I have three years worth of data, but so far, have done
nothing with it. I initially set it up because I saw a great
presentation about it by Chris Prom at SAA a few years ago.  I was all
fired up and ready to start working on it, but by the time I had
collected enough data, I lost the fire...

I would be curious to hear if people use specific aspects of Google
Analytics, and what they think the information really tells us. I also
have not set up any "Goals" because I never had time to sit down and
figure out exactly how they all work (I sort of feel like I need to take
a statistics class before embarking).

I keep trying to find a graduate student who would be willing to take my
data and make some sense out of it!
Jennie

p.s. A quick look tells me that in the last month, 58% of visitors to
our finding aids website came via Google... but what does it MEAN?

~*~
Jennie Levine Knies
Manager, Digital Collections
2216 Hornbake Library