Hi all:
To take up a thread that is emerging here....our analytics also show
that most of our users come in from search engines, library catalogs,
wikipedia, and sites that focus on specific subjects. The latter two
account for tremendous interest in two finding aids from a small
historical society with clear specialty interest. Search engine
traffic means that the finding aids for state prison records that have
a lot of personal names are also consistently in our top ten. This is
consistent with Jennie's findings--it's the obscure collections that
often generate the most attention.

So much for the notion that obscure collections at small institutions
can't possibly be of interest to anyone!

Shat this means is that having EAD guides exposed to search engines is
ensuring that people who are not looking for archival collections are
finding them accidentally. And that in turn means that we have to
present the guides in a way that those same people find them valuable
and useful--not by putting in notes that explain what a finding aid
is, but by presenting them in a way that makes their value obvious.
And we also have to accept that coming across the finding aid may or
may not lead to the outcomes we envision (they call/write and ask
about the collection, they come in to use it).

It's a different use case than we usually think of. It's more
expansive. And that, I think, is a really good thing. But it does
challenge us to meet the needs of more divers audiences, all of which
have their own goals.

Best, Jodi

On Jun 23, 2010, at 4:52 AM, Jennie Anne Levine Knies wrote:

> Joyce,
> I think your suggestions are very helpful, as have been other
> comments on this topic.  Thank you - something as seemingly simple
> as putting a brief explanation of a finding aid at the top of the
> page may have huge benefit.  Yes, I understand that when it says
> that 58% of our users come from Google, it means that 58% of our
> users are coming from a Google search!  However, you interpreted my
> comment correctly in that I was wondering "What does that tell me
> about how users are accessing our finding aids and what can I do to
> make them more usable for that large audience?"
>
> Another interesting tidbit - in the last month almost the same
> number of people came to us from our online catalog as did from
> Wikipedia...  and it wasn't many in either case. That said, taking
> three minutes to look into this explained to me why one of our more
> "obscure" collections keeps getting hit - it's because of the
> wikipedia link that someone (not me) entered.
>
> I would really love to have the time to think about this more.  But
> am grateful to the thoughts already presented in this thread, and am
> hoping that, combined with Chris's article, can get me motivated to
> focus on it more...
>
> Jennie
> ~*~
> Jennie Levine Knies
> Manager, Digital Collections
> 2216 Hornbake Library
> University of Maryland
> College Park, MD 20742
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> Tel: 301-314-2558
> Fax: 301-314-2709

Jodi Allison-Bunnell
Program Manager, Northwest Digital Archives
Orbis Cascade Alliance
418 Woodford
Missoula, MT 59801
(406) 829-6528