Dear Nathan,

Our agency webmaster (who has recently left us) set us up last year with a Google Analytics code and a Google Search code,  which we applied globally to all our pre-existing html pages and now use in our template for new pages.

Having separate html pages did not deter us from implementing this, since our html editing software, Dreamweaver, allows global insertions (done as search-and-replace operations under the Edit menu) on any scale, whether within one document or within an entire directory and all its subdirectories.  I just searched for the </head> code in all the pages in a target directory and replaced it with the code below (as well as some graphic "buttons"), followed by a replacement </head> code.  I repeated the operation at the end of the document too, targetting, I believe, the standard </body> code at the end of the pages as my replacement anchor.

Here is a sample page:

The visible search box up at the top right uses Google's searching capability, but results are restricted to only pages on our server.  In essence, it serves as our own personal search engine and keeps searchers who opt to use it from wandering off our site.

The Google Analytics part of the code lets me run stats on our hits for each day, month or year by logging on to:

You can see the full code and page layout of the MG index page linked to above by opening it up and viewing the "source" code in your browser.

Here is the code itself, which appears in a block inside the <head>...</head> area.

<!-- Google Analytics -->
<!cript type="text/javascript">
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www."); document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
<!cript type="text/javascript">
try {
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-5972388-8"); pageTracker._trackPageview(); } catch(err) {}</script>

<!--Google Search -->
<!cript type="text/javascript" src=""></script>
<!cript type="text/javascript">google.load("elements", "1", {packages: "transliteration"});</script> <!cript type="text/javascript" src=""></script>
<!cript type="text/javascript" src=""></script>
And this is the code that results in the display of the searching box:

<p><form action="" id="cse-search-box" style="float: right;">

  <div><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-2">Search Archives Finding
    Aids</font> <br/>
   <input name="cx" type="hidden" value="000553501270288213378:lxu8vzvofh4"/>
   <input name="ie" type="hidden" value="UTF-8"/>
   <input name="q" size="21" style="border: #7e9db9 1px solid;padding: 1px;"/>
   <input name="sa" type="submit" value="Search"/>
    <a href="" style="font-size: 9px;color: #003399;height: 6px;text-decoration: underline;padding: 0px;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Advanced
    Search</font></a> </div>

Unfortunately, it was our departed webmaster who dealt directly with Google.  I'm not sure what sort of indexing measures might have been taken at her or their end to get this all up and running.  I just dealt with the coding end of things.  But I could probably track her down and ask if need be.


Sharon Nelson

Sharon Nelson
Digital Archives and Records Division
Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission

-----Original Message-----
From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nathan Tallman
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Google Analytics

Happy Tuesday Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has tried using Google Analytics with their finding aids.  I was thinking it would be easy enough to insert the necessary code in the stylesheet template and then you'd would be able to get some good data on finding aid use, as well as user browser/network/hardware capabilities.

When I started my current position, I implemented Analytics on several pages of our website.  Our public finding aids are all HTML at the moment and I didn't want to hand edit each individual document, so chose not to implement Analytics in finding aids for the time being.  We've recently started an EAD project thought and this idea came back to me.

If you have implemented Google Analytics for your finding aids, I'd love to hear about it!