Dear Nathan,

Our agency webmaster (who has recently left us) set us up last year with a Google Analytics code and a Google Search code,  which we applied globally to all our pre-existing html pages and now use in our template for new pages.

Here is a sample page:
http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/mg/index.htm

The visible search box up at the top right uses Google's searching capability, but results are restricted to only pages on our server.  In essence, it serves as our own personal search engine and keeps searchers who opt to use it from wandering off our site.

The Google Analytics part of the code lets me run stats on our hits for each day, month or year by logging on to:

https://www.google.com/analytics/reporting/login?ctu=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fanalytics%2Fsettings%2F%3Fet%3Dreset%26hl%3Den

You can see the full code and page layout of the MG index page linked to above by opening it up and viewing the "source" code in your browser.

Here is the code itself, which appears in a block inside the <head>...</head> area.

<!-- Google Analytics -->
<script type="text/javascript">
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www."); document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
try {
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-5972388-8"); pageTracker._trackPageview(); } catch(err) {}</script>

<!--Google Search -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">google.load("elements", "1", {packages: "transliteration"});</script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/coop/cse/t13n?form=cse-search-box&t13n_langs=en"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/coop/cse/brand?form=cse-search-box&lang=en"></script>
And this is the code that results in the display of the searching box:

    Aids</font> <br/>
   <input name="cx" type="hidden" value="000553501270288213378:lxu8vzvofh4"/>
   <input name="ie" type="hidden" value="UTF-8"/>
   <input name="q" size="21" style="border: #7e9db9 1px solid;padding: 1px;"/>
   <input name="sa" type="submit" value="Search"/>
 </form>

Unfortunately, it was our departed webmaster who dealt directly with Google.  I'm not sure what sort of indexing measures might have been taken at her or their end to get this all up and running.  I just dealt with the coding end of things.  But I could probably track her down and ask if need be.

Sincerely,

Sharon Nelson

Sharon Nelson
Digital Archives and Records Division
Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission