AAA's webmaster Sara Snyder distributes our monthly Google Analytics report; I have attached both.  I am also cutting and pasting here from her last email that accompanied the reports. Sara has devoted a great deal of thought to this and I’m sure she would be happy to share her insights.

All data in this report comes from Google Analytics.  Traffic from within the Smithsonian network has been filtered out.

Summary Analysis of Web Traffic for April 2010

Main Website

The excellent presentation by Seb Chan from the Powerhouse Museum on April 20th has really been inspiring me to try and take better advantage of the advanced audience segmentation tools in Google Analytics.   For example, did you know that we can segment visitors not just by country, but by state or even city?  By what kind of computer, mobile device, and browser software they have?  By how they found us, by what pages they looked at (or didn’t), or by whether or not they chose to use our site search box?  And (best part) that we can combine any of these facets to create as many custom segments as we want?

To illustrate the utility of this, for this month’s report I want to focus on an audience segment referred to by marketers as branded traffic.  These are people who already know about AAA: they either have us bookmarked, typed our URL into the address bar directly, or else searched for us by name (“Archives of American art”  or a highly similar variation).  In addition to our regular report, I have attached a summary report of the top content for April showing the branded traffic segment.

On average, these visitors spent more time on our website (3:32 compared with normal average of 2 minutes) and viewed more pages per visit (5 pages average, instead of 3)—in sum, they are just more into us.  While branded traffic accounted for 21% of our total pageviews, it made up 30% of our pageviews within Collections, 36% within Collections Online, and 34% of pageviews within the “Support the Archives” and Membership pages.  Branded traffic hit two notable peaks in recent months, directly after AAA’s exposure on the BBC website and in the Apartment Therapy design blog, neither of which included a link to our URL but which mentioned our name repeatedly (hence the need to Google us).  Tracking branded traffic visits over time may provide us with the ability to measure the effectiveness of offline advertising/PR initiatives, as well as the growth of a loyal visitor base when examined in conjunction with repeat visits.

Blogs and Social Media

We gained 63 new fans on our Facebook page this month, more than double the 27 we gained last month, thanks to the “find us on Facebook” button that was added to the Primary Source e-newsletter.  We had 513 non-SI visits to the Archives of American Art Blog, also up from last month by 27% thanks to a referral on April 13 from Stumbleupon.com, the personalized website recommendation tool.

It seems like there is always more to learn about how we can better use our web traffic stats to gain insights about our visitors.  As always, I’m happy to work with you and your department to figure out how these numbers can support you in your work.

Sara

Barbara D. Aikens

Chief, Collections Processing

Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Ph: 202-633-7941

email:  [log in to unmask]

Mailing Address

Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

PO Box 37012

Victor Bldg., Suite 2200, MRC 937

Washington, DC  20013-7012