From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jacquie Samples
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MODS] Question about MADS and ID

Good morning all,
A colleague and I are working on a project to normalize organization names in our locally created ERM (called E-matrix), and would like to export our data into MADS so that we can share it with other institutions.  We had developed a schema that was working out OK, but we'd like to adde the local ID number for each <name> and <variant>, which we had not included initially.

According to the documentation on the MADS website, <name> is supposed to be allowed an ID attribute, which would allow us to have an ID for an authority or a variant., so that's what we were trying to use. However, the program we're using (Oxygen) is telling us "attribute 'ID' is not allowed to appear in element 'name'

I can't find any examples of records that use the ID attribute.  Does someone have an example, or give us guidance on the use of this attribute?

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mads/mads-outline.html#authority
1. <authority>
  <name>
  Subelements:
    <namePart>
      Attribute: type (date, family, given, termsOfAddress)
    <role>
      <roleTerm>
      Attributes: type (code, text); authority
    <description>
  Attributes:
    ID, xlink, lang, xml:lang, script, transliteration
    type (personal, corporate,conference, geographic)
    authority (see: http://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/name-title.html)
Thanks in advance for your help,
Jacquie Samples

Jacquie Samples
Continuing & Electronic Resources Librarian

NCSU Libraries
Metadata & Cataloging Department
Campus Box 7111
2 Broughton Drive