I agree with everything John Attig says, except that I'd qualify that
last bit. LC does limit the MARC fields available to NACO contributors,
and we need to wait for those instructions before including new fields
in LCNAF authorities. So I'd read John's "we needn't wait" to mean that
LC as the leader of NACO need not wait for RDA implementation to start
including the new data elements in LC/NACO practice.

Stephen

John Attig wrote:

> Finally, I would remind everyone that the new MARC fields in the
> authorities format are not to be used in NACO records until this fall
> when OCLC has completed its testing of the NACO infrastructure.  After
> that, I would agree with Mary that we needn't wait for RDA
> implementation to start using the new elements; although they are
> associated with RDA, they are in fact pulling out data that many of us
> have included in 670 fields in AACR2-based authority records.
>
>         John Attig
>         Authority Control Librarian
>         Penn State University

Stephen Hearn
Metadata Strategist, Technical Services Dept.
University Libraries, University of Minnesota
160 Wilson Library
309 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN  55455
Ph: 612-625-2328 / Fax: 612-625-3428