Actually there are two things needed to deal with differentiating names.
One is a standard default bit of qualifying information. For example, if
the LCCN were appended to the heading string of all NAF records when
heading comparisons are done, any name heading could be differentiated.
The "Smith, John" who writes on quantum physics could be differentiated
from the "Smith, John" who writes pet care manuals, even though nothing
more was known about either of them.

Equally important, we need a better way of choosing among potential NAF
matches for a bib heading we're seeking to authorize. The RDA
accommodations to MARC enable the specific encoding of much more
information about entities than has been the case in standard NAF
records, where 670s have become a jumble of different kinds of data with
no real term control. If authority records carried a richer set of
characterizing data elements, and if systems could combine those
elements for search and list displays to present richer data for making
choices, authorizing bib headings for common names could be a lot more
efficient.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn
Metadata Strategist, Technical Services Dept.